George Washington engaged two masons from the town of Portland in 1787, while Maine was still part of the colony of Massachusetts, and instructed them to take charge of the construction of a lighthouse on Portland Head. They were Jonathan Bryant and John Nichols. George Washington reminded them that the colonial Government was poor and that the materials used to build the lighthouse should be taken from the fields and shores. They could be handled nicely when hauled by oxen on a drag, he said. The old tower, built of rubblestone, still stands as one of the four colonial lighthouses that have never been rebuilt. Washington gave the masons four years to build the tower. While it was under construction, the Federal Government was formed in 1789 and it looked for a while, as though the lighthouse would not be finished. But the first Congress made an appropriation and authorized Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury, to inform the mechanics that they could go on with the completion of the tower.The tower was completed during the year 1790
Replica Location: Pilot Rock
Sponsored by: Shirley Richardson's Children
Building Craftsmen: Club Members
Light dedication: April 18, 2010
GPS: 34 24 43.33" N 114 17 23.53" W
Beacon flash: Red Flash sequence: 60 times a minute
Portland Head Lighthouse Replica
Night Navigation
First Page
Lake Map
Build Progress
Future Lights
Portland Head
During the Civil War, raids on shipping in and out of Portland Harbor became common place, and because of the necessity for ships at sea to sight Portland Head Light as soon as possible, the tower was raised 8 feet. Today Portland Head Light stands 80 feet above ground and 101 feet above water, its white conical tower being connected with a dwelling. The 200,000 candlepower, second-order electric light, is visible 16 miles. An air-chime diaphragm horn blasts every 20 seconds, for 4 seconds during fog. The second-order Fresnel lens from the Portland Head Lighthouse is on display in the museum located in the keeper's dwelling. The lens was used until 1958 when airway beacons were installed.
For Historical Details - http://lighthouse.cc/portlandhead/history.html




and first lighted January 10, 1791. The Lighthouse
is Located at Portland Harbor / Casco Bay, Nearest town is Cape Elizabeth, Maine - GPS: 43 37.24' N 70 12.30' W