Umpqua River Lighthouse
Location: South of Copper Canyon - Operational June 2009
Dedicated August 6, 2009
Sponsored by: Anonymous
Building Craftsmen: Lighthouse Club Members
Light dedication: (TBD)
GPS: 34 25 30.51" N 114 18 8.27" W
Beacon flash: Green Flash Sequence: 60 times per minute
Night Navigation
First Page
Lake Map
Build Progress
Future Lights
Umpqua River Lighthouse Replica
Completed in 1894 the 67-foot tower is situated at the entrance to Winchester Bay and at the mouth of the Umpqua River on a hill 165 feet above sea level. Active; focal plane 165 ft (50 m); has unusual red and clear prisms of the lens that flash every 5 s, two white flashes and then one red flash, day and night. 65 ft (20 m) stucco-clad brick tower, the original F. Barbier 1 Fresnel lens is still in use. Lighthouse painted white; lantern roof is red and is Oregon's oldest light station and a sibling of Heceta Head Light; these two light towers are similar to the much earlier Cape Blanco Light. The original keeper's house has been demolished, but the former Umpqua River Coast Guard Station now serves as the Coastal Visitor Center and lighthouse museum.