Located in northern Lake Michigan, 20 miles west of the Mackinac Bridge, this 121' light marks a hazardous area in this part of Lake Michigan. The light was built in 1910 to replace Lightship No. 56 that had marked the shoal since 1891. Lightship No. 56 was one of the first three lightship stations in Great Lakes. The nearby Waugoshance Shoal Light was abandoned in 1912 after White Shoal Light became operational.
White Schoal Lighthouse
The light is operational and was dedicated on Nov. 2, 2008
Location: Island Golf Course 15th Green
Sponsored by: John & Janet Roe & Eric & Sundin, Families
Building Craftsmen: Jack Hensley & Club Members
Light dedication: To the memory of Eric Sundin
GPS: 34º 27' 8.60" N - 114º 21' 5.37" W
Beacon color & flash sequence: Red, 60 times per minute
The station is built on a massive concrete base with a small octagonal building. Construction of the light was considered a major engineering feat because of its isolated location. The station contains a fog signal and keepers quarters. The quarters were used until 1976 when the light was automated. A distinctive red and white spiral candy cane painted tower with a red parapet is nearly the same size as the lower building. The light is the only red/white barber pole striped station in the United States. The concrete base has a pole and chain fence, and two cranes on the deck.
The red lantern, with diagonal-barred windows, houses a modern 190 MM optic. The original Second Order Fresnel lens is on display at the Whitefish Point Museum. A solar panel provides power to the light.