It was the first lighthouse built in North America, and the last to be automated (in 1998). Because the Boston Light was destroyed in the Revolution and rebuilt in 1783, the tower itself is the nation's second oldest. Boston was the maritime center of America in colonial days, and there were other lighted beacons in the area before the first Boston Light. It is recorded that there was a beacon on nearby Point Allerton in Hull as early as 1673. These early beacons were basically lanterns on poles and not lighthouses.
A stone tower was built on Little Brewster Island, also known as Beacon Island, attached by a sand bar to Great Brewster Island. The first lighthouse was financed by a tax of a penny a ton on all vessels coming into or out of the harbor. The first keeper, George Worthylake, lighted the tower for the first time on September 14, 1716.
A cannon, America's first fog signal, was placed on the island in 1719.
In 1859 Boston Light was raised to its present height of 89 feet and a new lantern room was added along with a 12-sided second order Fresnel lens. The giant lens revolved on machinery run by a clockwork mechanism which required frequent winding.
Our replica will be located at the Contact Point, Safety Center Marina entrance.
Sponsored by: Area chapters of the U.S. Coast Guard Aux. Division 9
Light dedication: Held in obeyance pending State Planning Dept. approval
GPS: 34º 26.87' N - 114º 19.57' W
Beacon flash sequence:
Boston Light Replica
The Boston Lighthouse is complete and will be erected in place when
approval from the AZ State Plannig Dept. is recieved.